Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tutorial: Hooking raw wool into your Rugs

This is Gentle Gracie in the Pumpkin Patch, I am using Gracie's washed wool from this springs shearing,I Use clean Raw wool instead of processed roving as the crimp in the wool helps give it that curly look,I use pieces a little thicker than a pencil
It is pulled through just like regular rug hooking , I go against the norm on these, I hook all around my sheep first including any background.
You want to space it much farther than you would with strips because when you clip it , it will fan out,

I pull loops up at least double the height of the loops for regular wool depending on how long you want the Staple to look on your sheep for example Stormy's Rug in my last post I pulled quite high as Stormy has very long staple to her wool and the lamb is pulled shorter.
For Gracie I wanted hers a medium, because of the Pumpkins.

When you come to the end you trim the ends even with your loops

Then each loop is to be cut down the center and finger fluffed I do this as I go to make sure I am not making it too bunched up

When you are finished you can take your scissors and lightly trim and shape around the edges

Thank You to my Darling Hubby Ken for the great pictures

10 comments:

  1. Your rugs are just lovely! I enjoyed the personal storey behind each. I also learned something new about using raw wool. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I found your blog through Woolly Mammoth Woolens. Thanks you for sharing your post on using raw wool in rugs. It is fabulous information and hubby's pics were great.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I understand you completely. DH and I saw the fox/coyote this morning running across the field. The head and coloring are of a fox bushy tail and all, however, he is the size of a coyote or coy-dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoyed visiting your blog this morning. Your hooking work is so unique and the sheep have such pretty faces. Your "Story" is beautiful. We ranch for a living in Wyoming (cattle) -- had sheep years ago too. I added you to my own blog list. Come on over for a visit. My crafty galpals are getting in hooking and I sent your blog to one of them. Happy Tails, Shery J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting technique, I'm gonna try using the larger amounts in a rug soon. Thanks for sharing how you do it. Need to call you and chat sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting craft. I would love to learn how to do this.
    Thank you so much for coming to my blog and wishing me well. It is all the prayers and good wishes that are keeing me going. I look forward to hearing from you again.
    thank you, Lura

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was great! I found the original wool rugs through your blog. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I received my wools this week from you and they are just what I expected...wonderful~ I will be buying more in the future~~~

    Blessings,
    Faye
    carolinastitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this great information! I hope I can try this on one of my projects some day - I wonder what else I could use it on besides a sheep - any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hermoso gracias por enseƱar y compartir su arte


    ReplyDelete